You can rely on Honeywell to deliver a quality boron trifluoride (BF3) product. As the world’s largest handler and transporter of BF3 for more than 70 years, we’re committed to delivering you a consistent product to support your operations. We take our safety responsibility very seriously – no other supplier can match the experience and support we provide throughout every phase of transportation and delivery.
Honeywell BF3 comes in one grade and two complexes:
BF3 is a non-flammable compressed gas packaged and shipped under high pressure. It is one of the strongest Lewis acids, which are also known as electron pair acceptors. In gas form, it reacts with chemicals containing oxygen, nitrogen, sulfur, and other electron pair donors to form addition or coordination compounds. It is extensively used as an acidic catalyst for organic synthesis reactions.
Complexed forms of BF3 are typically liquids or solids that can be easier to manage than the high-pressure gas form of BF3. It is best to use BF3 in a complexed form so that it can be released under preferred conditions. These complexes can provide unique catalytic effects or change the characteristics of reaction products.
Contact us to learn more about our BF3 gas and BF3 complexes and technical service offerings.
BF3 is one of the most potent Lewis acids, and is widely used as a catalyst for organic synthesis reactions. It demonstrates greater resistance to hydrolysis when compared with other boron trihalides. Some of these applications include but are not limited to:
- Olefins, diolefins, vinyl ethers/esters, unsaturated acids/esters, terpenes or derivatives
- Heterocyclic unsaturated organics, such as indene and coumarone
- Styrene or derivatives with isoprene, butadiene or 1, 3-pentadiene
- Aromatic hydrocarbons and phenols with olefins or alcohols
- Paraffins and unsaturated hydrocarbons
- Acetals, ketals, indoles, alphamethoxymercurials, steroids and intermediates, hydroxy fatty acids
- Acetylenes with acids, addition of olefins with organic acids or esters
- Desulfurizing solvents, intermediates and cracked distillated petroleum, separating xylene isomers
- Absorbing water of nitration
- Cyclization of natural and synthetic elastomers
- Disproportionation of isoparaffins
Inorganic and Organic Compound Formation
- Fluorides, anhydrous ammonia, water, sulfuric acid and salts, phosphoric acid and salts
- Hydrogen sulfide, sulfur dioxide
- Alcohols, ethers, aldehydes, ketones, amines, nitrites, carboxylic acids and esters, sulfonic acids and esters
- Nucleonics, brazing fluxes for metals and alloys, manufacturing lube oil additives
- Production of high purity boron isotope (10 B), manufacturing boranes and fluoroborates
- Preparation of triphenyl and tetraphenyl borates, P-type doping in semiconductor manufacturing
- Cyclization of natural and synthetic elastomers, disproportionation of isoparaffins
Contact us to learn more about our product grades, custom complexes and technical service offerings.